Gracias por visitar www.darragha.com. Darragha Foster es la autora de libros románticos, raros, y paranormales. Muchos de los libros contienen personajes que pueden cambiar sus aspectos fĂ­sicos. ¡A Darragha le gustan comentarios en cualquier idioma de los visitantes a su sitio!

Sunday, November 4, 2007

November=Thanksgiving

I do not relish our American Thanksgiving for the sole fact that my household is torn between four families all wanting us to "join them for dinner." It is insane to eat several Thanksgiving meals on one day! Insane! Even when I could gorge myself (which I can no longer do thanks to weight loss surgery) I couldn't understand why the EAT EAT EAT mentality pervades the Thanksgiving Holiday.

I love spending time with my mother and step-father, father and step-mother, my wonderful cousins on my dad's side, my husband's family members and my step-father's family---but not all of them on the same day! This year, I'm thinking we have a dinner at noon, a dinner at 3 and a dinner at 7. I'm afraid to check to confirm this, however!

Food should not be the focus of Thanksgiving. But alas, for many it is. Food=love is a mindset that I appreciate, fear and embrace all at the same time.

That said, I'm going to celebrate Thanksgiving my way, right here.

Thanks giving. Giving thanks. Showing Appreciation. It starts with your attitude. One of my favorite quotes from Ikedaquotes.org is:

When your determination changes, everything will begin to move in the direction you desire.
The moment you resolve to be victorious, every nerve and fiber in your being will immediately orient itself toward your success. On the other hand, if you think, “This is never going to work out,” then at that instant every cell in your being will be deflated and give up the fight. Then everything really will move in the direction of failure.

Welcome to Darragha's Thanksgiving dinner table. We're all going to take a turn, in fine holiday tradition, sharing those things in our lives for which we are thankful. The day after Thanksgiving, I'll draw one winner from the posting thankful to receive a lovely prize--but I need to check with an artist friend of mine first to make sure she can have "the lovely prize" ready by then. If not, I'll provide a reasonable facsimile.

I get to go first!

  • I appreciate my sufferings as they propel me forward;
  • I appreciate my parents, for they gave me the gift of life--twice! (My parents and step-parents paid for my weight-loss surgery);
  • I appreciate my loving husband and daughter--even when they're making me crazy;
  • I appreciate having a day job. It is a daily source of inspiration for my career as a novelist;
  • I appreciate every twist, turn, corner and dead-end in my personal labyrinth. I am blazing my own way through it!
  • I appreciate my readers, without whom my characters would surely starve;
Your turn!

Darr :)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

What do I appreciate? I am thankful for the 9 1/2 yrs that I had with my wonderful husband. He passed on October 15, 2007. I am thankful for the great memories and even the bad ones that we shared. I'm thankful for the 31 yrs that I had with my stepson from my first marriage. He was always momma's boy and he always will be. He passed on October 21, 2007. Yes 6 days apart and both totally unexpected. One from a heart attack and the other heart breakingly so from an OD. I am thankful for my 8 children who have rallied around me and each other to get us through. They are all truly a blessing to me and have shown me what fine adults they have become. I am thankful for all of my friends who have stood by my family. I am thankful for the sun, moon, and stars and each new day for we never know when that second might be our last.

Darragha! said...

Wow, Glenna...that's insane. But I think your attitude is correct and will help you make it through an incredibly difficult time. I'll put you and yours in my prayers. Peace, security and good circumstances, Glenna.

blessedheart said...

What a great ides! Here goes:

-- I appreciate God for giving me life and blessing me every day

-- I appreciate my husband and my daughters for all their love, help, and support

--I appreciate my parents for being hard on me and raising me to be a responsible adult

--I appreciate the fact that even after 28 years of being a diabetic, my eyes are still in good enough shape that I can read every day

--I appreciatemy family's love and support, even though they can drive me crazy!

--I appreciate all of the wonderful friends I've made on the internet

--I appreciate a beautiful, sunny day

Rhonda :-)

Anonymous said...

Glenna's post reminds me that my small son and I say, "Good morning, sun! Thank you for coming to light the world and warm us up!" nearly every morning, and often say good night to the sun as well.

I am grateful for the first verses of Psalm 69, which remind me that being up to one's neck can turn out to be a baptism.

I am grateful for my simply enormous family of choice and of genetics.

And for joy.

(Glenna, I hope you're able to be gentle to yourself for the next year or so.)

Darragha! said...

Mary Ann...

I am grateful for the first verses of Psalm 69, which remind me that being up to one's neck can turn out to be a baptism.

That is wonderful! I'm going to look up Psalm 69!

Stacia said...

I am thankful to have wonderful friends & family who have been there for me to help me get through a very tough time in my life right now. If it wasn't for them, I may have given up.

Unknown said...

I just want to thank all of you for your words of kindness. It really means a lot to me. I know that it is going to be tough but I will get through this. Right now living by myself is the hardest. I get really lonely but I will make it through in time. words of wisdom....remember the little things because those are the things you'll miss the most.

Judy said...

I appreciate my entire family and friends. I appreciate the blessings that the lord has bestowed on me and my family. I had a mini stroke in June, but a friend from school had one a week after I did, and hers is so much WORSE than mine. I am recovering ever so fast and she is still going through rehab. Good luck to everyone!!

C.Gwynn said...

I am thankful for my loving family.
I am thankful for mine & my families good health.
I am thankful for the men and women protecting our wonderful country.
I am thankful to be a child of God.
Many blessings to everyon this holiday season.

Debby said...

Good morning, there are many things I am thankful for and I have to say that while I am not thankful for my allergies at leasst I know I am alive and so is my poor asthmatic daughter. We will continue on and en life with a different view than others. I love my three kids but they all have special needs and they are all special and I am thankful for them.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for the many blessings I receive daily, all the usal ones. However, the one thing I am thankful for now is that I finally have time to read and to find high-caliber books to read and wonderful authors like Darragha.
Today being Veteran's Day, I am also thankful for the many, many FREEDOMS I have living in America

Darragha! said...

Wow, thanks, Joye!

Darr

Anonymous said...

I am thankful everyday for the soldiers who stand guard to keep the people and our country free. The freedom that I often take for granted in the everyday but never fail to acknowledge around holidays. That or when the mark hits close to home like it does this year with my brother and his wife out of the US and serving in the Air Force. They will be missed badly this year both around the table for Thanksgiving and even more so around the Christmas tree later this year. But my prayers and heart is out there with them, over-seas until they come home. Them and eveyone with them.
~April
Lady_Werewolf_By_Night@yahoo.com

Darragha! said...

Well said, April.

For sh*ts and giggles

I give good readings. Norse Tarot readings. The cards are my own design. I've been doing readings as "party favors" for 35 years. I've been doing readings quite successfully on the Liquid Silver forum for quite awhile, too. When I was 13 years old I could have gone professional, but my mother, in her infinite wisdom, protected me from becoming a local media victim. She is a retired psychic minister. I grew up around this stuff! She taught me to share my gift and never to charge exorbitant amounts. I've been charging $5.00 for twenty years, or just doing that "party favor thing."

I'm going to start offering personal, full readings via email to my blog visitors. Not three-card quickies like I do on the forum.

$5.00 per question (one question per reading, please). No "life and death" questions. Remember, readings are supposed to be fun! You can pay by paypal or you can buy one of my books, forward me the receipt at darragha @ gmail. com (no spaces) and I'll accept that as payment.


If you want a three-card quickie for free, ask at the forum :)

Thank you, and I look forward to tossing the cards for you!

Darr


Love's Second Sight (ebook and paperback)
The Orca King (ebook only [for now] named in the top 25 of the most unusual paranormal characters in the last 25 years by Romantic Times BookLover's Magazine)
Cold, Hard Kash (ebook only. my mother liked this one!)
Teaching Old Gods New Tricks (ebook for now...soon to be in print! a trilogy in one volume)
A Witch in Time (ebook. a "witchy" anthology. My tale is "Spell-Crafted for Pleasure")
Mooncusser Cove (ebook. will go to print depending upon e-sales)
Of Flesh and Blood (a vampire anthology. My tale is "Polishing Saber."